Commercial cleaning accident leads to fine

By December 17, 2010Articles

Commercial cleaning accident leads to fine

Those working in the commercial cleaning sector have been warned about the dangers of using hazardous chemicals following a recent accident.

Fast food chain McDonalds has been fined after one of its cleaners was injured whilst using an acid-based drain cleaner to unblock a waste pipe.

The man suffered burns to his face and eyes when the drain cleaner blew back up the waste pipe and into his face.

Managers at the McDonald’s drive-thru restaurant in Wandsworth Bridge authorised the use of this hazardous chemical even though there had been no risk assessment of the dangers involved.

Furthermore, the employee had not been properly trained in the use of this substance, was not supervised whilst using it and had not been given any protective equipment for the task.

This led to McDonald’s being fined £5,000 and ordered to pay costs of over £15,000 under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974

“We hope this case will serve as an important reminder to all employers that they must always take proper steps to ensure the safety of their employees in the workplace,” commented Cllr Sarah McDermott of Wandsworth Council.

Posted by Antoaneta Tsocheva

Call us on 020 7470 9235.

Copyright @ FastKlean

admin

About admin

Leave a Reply

 

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.